Welcome to the Crimson Knights Forums! ! ! ! !

Please resgister if you have not already.
Welcome to the Crimson Knights Forums! ! ! ! !

Please resgister if you have not already.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rpgfan1994
Uber Admin
Uber Admin
Rpgfan1994

CK Aura : 2147483643
Respect : 0

A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress) Empty
PostSubject: A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress)   A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 7:11 pm

This is for Mario and Emo, they wanted my help, so I will help them. Note that this is going to be updated every coulple of days.

Competitive battling

1. Types - In Competitive Battling you will need a very diverse team. One way to do this is to have a bunch of different types that counter each others weak ness. By doing this you increase your chances of winning by a lot. Types include 16 different elements such as Ice, Water, and Fire. Types make the most since in the Pokemon game, for example Grass is weak to Fire, this is just logical. While other couldn’t make anymore since like Fighting is strong against Steel, Last time I punched something steel I busted my knuckle and there wasn’t even a dent >.>

How do you know when to use the right types? Lets just say that you had a Gyarados (Flying - Water -Type) on the field and your opponent switches to a Jolteon (Electric - Type). The problem is that Gyarados is 4x weak to electric moves and you need to change your Pokemon. One of the most logical choices would be to switch in to a Ground - Type attack. Why? Ground Negates the effect of the electrical attack and now you would have the advantage. Some other choices may be Grass, or Steel since the electric attack will only do half to those Types.For a type chart please refer to this link.

[url=Type Chart]http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/15787/battlechart.gif[url]

2. STAB - STAB means Same Type Attack Bonus. What that mean is a Pokemon with an attack move with the same type as the Pokemon gets a 1.5 damage boost. For example Gyaradas with Ice Fang would not get STAB because Ice Fang is a Ice move and Gyarados is a Water/Flying - Type Pokemon, so Ice Fang gets no STAB. Now if Gyarados used Bounce or Waterfall hey would get a 1.5 attack bonus since the attacks and Gyarados’s type are the same.

3. Move Sets - Move Sets are the key to ant battle. The more Diverse the move set the better the Pokemon.
Here is an Example of a horrible Move Set.

Treecko
- Absorb
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm
- Solar Beam

Notice all these moves are the same. They all may get STAB, but to a Steel Pokemon that seems like a walk in a park. You will need a more diverse Move set in order to be able for your Pokemon to sweep better. Here is an Example for a diverse Gyarados.

Gyarados
- Water fall
- Ice Fang
- Bounce
- Earthquake

With this move set, I get two STABS, Bounce and Waterfall, and I have two ways of getting rid of other Pokemon like Pikachu and things that Gyarados is weak to.

Now we need to know about Support Moves. Support Moves are moves that don’t hurt your opponent directly, but do it indirectly. Support Moves include Toxic, Will-o-wisp. Etc. These moves usually hurt your opponent with a status condition. Some Support moves help you by giving you stat boosting raises. Here is a Gyarados with a great moves set including Support Move.

Gyarados
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Ice Fang

In this moves set Gyarados has a move set which includes a STAB move, and a support move. This Gyarados has a great moves set.

Now lets talk about things that effect your stats. There are 3 things that effect your stats and they are IV’s, EV’s and Natures.

Natures - Natures come first since they are the easiest to explain. When you capture a Pokemon they have a certain nature and that certain nature can hinder one stat and exceed in another stat. I can explain a bit more with these. Alright Gyarados’s base stat for attack is 125, but with a Adamant Nature(+ Attack - Special Attack) Gyarados’s attack will be raised by a enormous amount. There are about 25 different Natures each one different then the last. In the link below there is a Nature chart and what each Nature does.

http://www.psypokes.com/lab/natures.php

IV’s - These are known as Individual Values (I think they do anyway) You can’t change these values no matter what you do. These are there when you catch the Pokemon. The IV’s can go up to 31 when they reach that then it is considered a perfect IV. IV’s also have a effect on the move Hidden Power. Depending on the IV’s your Hidden Power type could be anything from Ice to Water. The only way to know what your IV’s are is to put your Pokemon’s stats in a IV calculator. Here is a link to one.

http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml

EV’s - These are known as Effort Values. What they do is simple they raise any stat you want, but you have to work for these. How? By battling Pokemon with certain EV points. To know which Pokemon has which EV point just look at this article written by Rathing47 off of the Gamespot Forum. Note that these are Platinum hotspots.

Training HP EVs

This is one of the simplest EVs to train. The best place to train HP is west of Pastoria City, on Route 212. You will see a small body of water, which you can hope on in and surf on. In this water you will see Woopers which give one point each, and Quagsires which give 2 points each. Together they both have a 100% encounter rate, though Woopers are far more common.

I suggest only training on the Wooperd. This is for the pure simplicity of calculations, because when using power items the Woopers always give an EV amount divisible by 5.

Alternatively you may use the VS Seeker to repeatedly challenge a girl on Route 209 named Cowgirl Shelly. She has 5 Bidoofs which give 1 HP EV each. She is a great alternative place.

Training Attack EVs

Though attack is simpler than HP training, it requires more attention. The best place to train attack EVs is East of the Fight Area, or West of the resort area (Easier this way) on route 229. Here with your Super Rod you may fish for Gyarados, which appear 100% of the time you actually get a catch. These water snakes give you a generous 2 EV points each.

Another good place to fish is Twinleaf Town. Here you can encounter Seakings, which give 2 EV points in attack each.

I realize some people have issues getting the rod to work, so here is exactly how to do it. I suggest that you first assign the Super Rod to your Y-Button. After you have done this, press your Y-Button, while standing next to the water, and pay attention to the screen. When you see the exclamation point above your characters head, quickly tap the A Button once. You do not have to have super reflexes to get this right, though you do need to be paying attention.

Training Defense EVs

The best place to do this is in the Ruin Maniacs cave. This is outside of where you catch the Unknown, the tunnel you actually find the guy in.

Here you will find primarily Geodudes, though Hippotas are not completely uncommon. Each of these guys give 1 EV point each for defense. The low level of these creratures make defense EV training much simpler than it might seem at first.

Training Special Attack

The best place to train this is in the Resort Area. In this small little town you will find a small pool of water near the bottom right-hand corner of the town. In this pool of water you may surf, and find Golducks. These guys give a generous 2 EV points for everyone you faint. On top of that, they are a 100% encounter rate.

Another place you may train special attack is in the Old Chateau, though it is only worth it if you have a GBA Pokemon game.

Here you will find Gastlys that give 1 special attack EV each. If you have a GBA game inserted into your DS, you will also encounter Haunter and Genagr. These guys give 2 and 3 special attack EVs respectively.

Training Special Defense

This stat is almost always easier to train if you use the Split EV training method explained below. Thankfully though, not many things need special defense EVs.

The best place to train this stat, is North of Sunyshore city. Once you’ve flown there, head North until you find Jasmine, the Steel Type Gym Leader from GSC who gives you the HM. Now, swim out into the water. Here you will find, Tentacruels. They are a 60% encounter rate. You will occasionally run into Mantykes, who gives 1 Special Defense EV each.

An alternative and possibly better place to train is in Pastoria City. East of the Move Tutors's home you will see a pool of water. If you surf in here you will encounter Tentacools which give 1 special defense EV each. This is a 100% encounter.

Training Speed

The best way is using the Versus Seeker. On Route 205, you will find many fishermen fishing. (You get to Route 205 by exiting Eterna City via the eastern exit.) Challenege the second fisherman from the right, Fisherman Andrew. He has 6 Magikarps that give 1 Speed EV each.

There is however another good training area. You will find the training area east of the Survival area. Head east of the Poke center until you find a place you can rock climb. Climb up, and you are on the ledges.

Here you will find Fearows and Raicates, both of which give 2 speed Ev points each. You also (Though much more rarely) find their pre-evolved forms, Rattata and Spearow, who offer 1 EV point each.

The reason EV training here is not as effective as fighting Fisherman Andrew, is the lack of a 100% encounter rate. You will find that Golduck and Machoke are farily commonly found here. Though this makes the location inferior to Fisherman Andrw, it is still a good place to train.

That is all I am doing today.
Back to top Go down
Psyclone
Uber Admin
Uber Admin
Psyclone

CK Aura : 2147483647

PostSubject: Re: A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress)   A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress) Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 12:29 am

wow,this would be helpful if i weren't to lazy to read it.
Back to top Go down
https://crimsonknights.rpg-board.net
SuperNova
Novice
Novice

CK Aura : 90
Respect : 1

PostSubject: Re: A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress)   A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 10:15 am

You pretty much explained that quite nicely, but you might want to put in a little section about trying to predict.
Back to top Go down
Rpgfan1994
Uber Admin
Uber Admin
Rpgfan1994

CK Aura : 2147483643

PostSubject: Re: A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress)   A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 2:27 pm

SuperNova wrote:
You pretty much explained that quite nicely, but you might want to put in a little section about trying to predict.

Noticed the title? I'm still working on it and the prediction part will be easy I still need to explain some other things.
Back to top Go down
zachattach9
CK Apprentice
CK Apprentice
zachattach9

CK Aura : 193

PostSubject: Re: A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress)   A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 2:20 pm

you might want to mention something about team themes and monotypes?
Back to top Go down
Pokefan362
CK Apprentice
CK Apprentice
Pokefan362

CK Aura : 176

PostSubject: Re: A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress)   A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress) Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 6:39 pm

It's still a WIP guys. I think you should probably wait until this is finished before commenting. Still, this has not been updated in a while. You might want to get to it Mikal
Back to top Go down
zachattach9
CK Apprentice
CK Apprentice
zachattach9

PostSubject: Re: A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress)   A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress) Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 7:13 pm

just giving him ideas on what to add
Back to top Go down
Pokefan362
CK Apprentice
CK Apprentice
Pokefan362

PostSubject: Re: A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress)   A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress) Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 7:30 pm

So I see....
Back to top Go down
zachattach9
CK Apprentice
CK Apprentice
zachattach9

PostSubject: Re: A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress)   A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress) Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 7:47 pm

yes, u do see?
Back to top Go down
Pokefan362
CK Apprentice
CK Apprentice
Pokefan362

PostSubject: Re: A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress)   A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress) Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 7:57 pm

I see I see I see!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress)   A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Tutoring Paper (Still In Progress)
Page 1 of 1